Our Homeschooling and Military Journey Through Life ~ Click on one of the tabs for additional pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Natural Exploration

Give them resources and they will explore their surroundings on their own...


I went on a cleaning spree yesterday of my extra bedroom, otherwise knows as the "playroom" and made Duck's books accessible to her again. I keep losing her today and have to keep asking where she is only for her to come out with another book on earthquakes. Who knew I had so many science books on that book shelf back there?  

Can you say, music to this mom's ears that my child is back in the "playroom" researching more about earthquakes because we are working with them in science. We have to finish our chapter on them today and she knows that she will have to write a paper on what she has learned.  I decided to "test" her on the material wasn't as important to me as her being able to put into words what she learned.  In our state, they don't test on science anyway, so I am not overly concerned with her ability to test well in this subject area. 

I just had to share this thought with you as it was on my mind.  So many times we as mom's/teachers think we have to be into every aspect of our children's learning when in all actuality if we leave the materials out where they have access to them, they will go inquiring all on their own. God made them with inquisitive hearts and minds so they will go in search of things all on their own. We just have to  provide the resources to aid in this natural area of exploration.  

It is my prayer that God had a reason in putting this on my heart to share with you here. If this helped you in any  form of encouragement, please feel free to leave a comment. It is always encouraging to see others learn from some of our hardships. I didn't always feel this way. Only in the past 2 years and with the help of my wonderful best friend and fellow homeschooler am I here now.  I hope this helps you today. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog through Renee at Glow Academy!

    I see we have a little bit in common. I home schooled my children (they are all grown now. I'll be visiting again... I'm off to read your organizational page.

    so nice to meet you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you came over for a visit. I am looking forward to meeting you. I have homeschooled my only daughter from the very beginning, but am new to the blogging world. Renee has been absolutely wonderful to me in this process. She has helped me figure out a lot of stuff here.
    I hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to jump in and offer any advice you have to make homeschooling and being a wife and keeping a home together that you have. It is so nice to meet you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic post heidi!!!! yea!
    leave it out and they will find it!
    thanks for the visit also heidi! glad it turned out!
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks bunches Ms. Debbie!!! Love your encouragement. :)
    Do you mind if I link to your wonderful recipe from yesterday so others can come over to you and try this absolutely wonderful bread (that my child ate for her morning snack)? I am thinking by the end of the day it will be gone. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment. I am looking forward to what you think.
Have a blessed day!